Thursday, March 7, 2013

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall








Once again a book review brings me a winner. I loved, loved, loved Whistling Past the Graveyard Susan Crandall.

Set at the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement, this is the story of a young white girl who meets a black woman in a most unexpected way. Starla is running away from her grandmother when Eula stops to pick her up on a hot, dusty road. Thus begins a chain of events that will change Starla's life.

The story is filled with wonderful characters and moving situations. It was reminiscent of The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird all rolled into one. Told from Starla's nine year old point of view, it explores friendships, unexpected turns of life, and the complex role that race played in the social structure during that time period.

Whistling Past the Graveyard was very well-written. It caught me in the first few pages, and I couldn't put it down. I ended the book very reluctantly. Even though the story was resolved for the characters I didn't want it to be over.

This one was a definite winner. I give it 5 stars and a PG-13 for rating. (There are some intense situations, and a few characters use some bad language.)

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

No comments: